Thursday, September 15, 2011

1 Week Till Mid-Semester Break!


Things are going great! School is busy as ever… this week my big project was a presentation in my anthro class. I spent all week preparing for it and was really nervous about standing in front of class giving a presentation. It ended up going well though. Now I am starting on a 2000-word essay due next week also for my anthro class.

It is the end of our 8th week at Uni. Next week is our last week of school before mid-semester break!!! (basically spring break here). We’ll have 2 weeks off school and I’ll be going with my friends Caroline, Doris, Emma, and Marc on a road trip adventure tour from Adelaide up to Darwin through the outback.

It will be a huge adventure for me… 2 weeks of camping, hiking, and being low-maintenance. I won’t have my phone, my laptop… But it will be fantastic. Between 20 and 24 young adults from all over the world, road tripping it across the Outback. Once again, the link for the trip description: http://www.adventuretours.com.au/south-australia/adelaide-to-darwin-safari

Soon I will need to go shopping for some hiking boots, a sleeping bag, and a big backpack that will hold all I will need for 2 weeks! Can’t believe there’s just one week between this insane adventure and me!

Anyways, it will be nice to have a break from school. And to really get out and explore Australia, somewhere other than Adelaide.
Nina and I on the bus going to the Royal Adelaide Show

This was another long week and I’m glad its come to an end. The weather is warming up fast! Today the high is 24 degrees! (upper 70’s I think) Its nice to be able to wear shorts and flip flops again. This morning I slept in a little because my 1 seminar on Thursdays is from 3-5. Also, I was up late last night because Doris had another crepe-making night! I was at Uni by noon and met up with Nina, Doris, Thomas, and Heiner for lunch. We enjoyed sitting outside in the sunshine and warmth. Nana and I have found the most amazing salad bar right across from Uni called Sumo Salads. We are now members of the Sumo-Salad group and go there at least twice a week for our wonderful salads.

Me, Nina, Katrin, and Nana!
Sand sculpture at the Royal Adelaide show
This weekend looks like it will be a great one! This evening Oliver is having a birthday celebration at The Village. We’ll be BBQing and drinking goon. According to the invite, guys are supposed to provide the meat, and girls are supposed to bring salads. Nina and I will meet up this afternoon at Coles to buy some ingredients and we will make homemade pasta salad at my place to take to the BBQ. (Why does it seem that everything we do centers around food?) No wonder I’m gaining weight here!

Tomorrow (Friday) I will probably try to get some school work done during the day, then in the evening will be meeting up with Nina, Nana, and Doris for dinner at an Italian restaurant. (Nina has been really missing good Italian food, so we decided it was time we get her some real Italian!) We have to be up early Saturday morning, so we’ll have a movie night that night at Nana, Thomas, & Heiner’s place to watch Black Swan then will get to bed at a reasonable hour.

Wine sampling!
Saturday is our big wine tour in Barossa Valley with ESN! They will provide a champagne breakfast at 8am then we will take a bus out to the wine region! Visits to 4 different wineries are included as well as a pub lunch at the Tanunda Club and a tour guide! It lasts all day and should be a fantastic time.

Show bags!
Anyhow, everything has been going so great lately. I’ve been able to skype with my family more often, I’ve been keeping up with my schoolwork AND doing a good quality job on the assignments, I have a functional and smooth routine, I’ve been having heaps of fun, and, most importantly, I’ve been spending time with some truly wonderful, genuine friends who I just can’t get enough of. I have finally reached the point that I trust them all and am comfortable enough to really be myself with them. Its been completely rewarding. Though really opening myself up was tough, it was really the best possible thing I could’ve done. Any loneliness I felt before is utterly gone. I have a family here.

Next week, as I said, is our last week before mid-semester break! I’m sure it will be busy as we wrap up the first part of the semester.


2 comments:

  1. omg sounds like sooo much fun! =D take lots of pics!!! (lucky that you get two weeks off too =) very nice)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The road trip to Darwin looks fantastic!

    I'm with KC - take lots of pics and post them for us.

    ReplyDelete