Saturday, November 12, 2011

One Week


One of the things I’ll miss the most here are the iced coffees.

Here, they are so much more than just iced… coffee. I remember the first time I got one… I thought they’d made some kind of mistake. The sweet, creamy drink in front of me, topped off with vanilla ice cream and sprinkled with chocolate and espresso powder was like no iced coffee I’d ever seen before. To my surprise, it wasn’t a mistake… in fact, that’s just how they do an iced coffee here. Not even just at one café… but all of them.

Over the last several months, I’ve had many iced coffees. And I’ve savored every one. Cold.. milky coffee, with just the right amount of sweet. The first thing to do is always eat the ice cream on top… honey sweet vanilla taste, perfectly accenting the slightly bitter espresso flavor of the coffee. Then, taking your time slowly sipping the remaining milk and coffee beverage… sugary and creamy, but still light enough so its not too rich… not too heavy.

I will miss them.

I think I’m good at that… savoring things. Enjoying small things in life and appreciating them. Rarely a moment goes by in my life that I’m not appreciating something beautiful, however small. The smell of the morning air.. the taste of my coffee.. the vibrant color of the sky or the trees or a flower. Maybe the feel of the breeze in my hair.. the sound of the city outside my window.. the fond touch of a friend.. the smell of a old lady’s floral perfume as she passes by.. a taste, a feeling, a scent, a sound.. its why I always feel as if I’m indulging myself too much in life.. because I am always savoring.. enjoying.. cherishing small things. I am always over-appreciating ordinary things in a way, I guess. For example, I don’t just drink a coffee… I breathe in the smell, sip it slowly.. I love it.. I love the whole experience of drinking that coffee. That’s how I think life should be lived.

But, though I’m good at enjoying a cup of coffee, I totally suck at things like saving money, studying.. being responsible in general..

But would I trade?

One week left in Australia. One week till I head home to Indiana. One week and my trip.. my adventure.. is over. Things haven’t been very exciting the past couple weeks because of exams. Everyone is busy studying, so we haven’t had much time to enjoy each other and our last weeks together. I’ve been down.. and nostalgic… the fact that I’m leaving so soon is always on my mind. I am always reminiscing about the past 5 months… and thinking about how far away home really seems. I really am looking forward to returning… back to my family and friends whom I’ve missed so dearly. Yet at the same time I wish I could stay. I’m not ready to call it the end… its hard to believe its over.

But I’ve come to accept it over the past week… accept that we’re all going our separate ways, and will probably never see each other again… will most likely never be in Australia again… its time for goodbyes and packing up. I’ll miss Australia. So much. I’ve fallen in love with this country… its way of life… its wildlife… its people… its accents. I would love to live here. I could definitely see myself settling down here someday. It’s the most wonderful, beautiful place I’ve ever been.

Anyway, one week left. I have one exam left on Tuesday… no plans otherwise. I will spend as much time as I can with my friends and will be visiting all my favorite places in Adelaide one last time. Of course taking photos. There will be some farewell parties next weekend for all of us internationals to say goodbye, and Sunday at 6am I will get on a plane and begin my 24-hour airport-adventure home. Adelaide to Sydney, Sydney to L.A., L.A. to Memphis, and, finally, back to Indy. Back to home. Just in time for Thanksgiving with my family. I will return to my job at Starbucks… I will meet up and catch up with all my friends… and will begin preparing for the holidays.

Until then, I am here in Australia, enjoying the summer heat and the sunshine while I can. One week left.


1 comment:

  1. Savor every moment, Nicky!

    And have an iced coffee for me!

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete