Friday, July 15, 2011

Exploring Adelaide

Adelaide

Yesterday, Thursday, I decided I needed some Nicky-time. I woke up about nine, ate some breakfast, sent some emails, and left around noon. Its been very overcast the past few days, but the sun was out and the sky was bright blue. I didn’t really have a certain place in mind.. I just put in my earphones, turned on my Ipod, and started walking. I took some streets I’d never taken and ended up walking through Rundle Mall, which is basically where the road is blocked off and there’s an outside mall that goes for blocks. Many street performers were out dancing, or singing, or doing magic shows. I joined the crowd and watched one or two. I window shopped a little.. gazing into the beautiful shops with clothes I could never afford and electronics I couldn’t even imagine the use for. One of my favorite things about Adelaide is the cafes. Most of them are open and you can go right up to the counter from the street. There are many places to sit outside and people watch as you sip your coffee or eat. I ended up walking down another road on the east side of the city and found a charming little place to sit, have an iced coffee, and write for a while. The iced coffee here blows my mind. I got my first one a couple days ago at T-bar.. not expecting the creamy goodness made with vanilla ice cream and espresso they ended up serving me. I sat for a while there, simply enjoying the sunshine and the time to reflect. Adelaide is a city that has something to offer everyone, and my appreciation of it only grows.
Iced coffee

After my walk I went to campus for awhile to sign up for some activities the international students can sign up for, then headed back towards The Village. On my way I stopped into a shop to ask directions. After telling me which direction to go, the lady behind the counter said to me, “Great accent by the way, I just love it!”  She liked my “accent”. It was the first time that’s ever happened to me. I felt so cool. I got back to my place and around 8pm met up with Oliver and Frank. Our friend, Marcus, had invited some of us over for dinner so we went over there are met up with about 10 other international students we knew. Some people made spaghetti and we drank wine and talked. Eventually we all sat down together at the table and ate dinner together. It was nice to have a home-cooked meal with friends and it was a lot of fun. Afterwards we went to P.J. O’Brians, a bar on the east side of the city to meet up with the rest of the international students for a drink.

The people I’ve met so far are wonderful. I haven’t met many Australian students yet because classes don’t start till next week, but the other international students are all friendly and excited to be here and meet people and explore, as I do. I’m still a little shy sometimes.. I’m one of the few Americans here (most of the students are from Asia and Europe), and I’m also one of the youngest. Oliver, my good friend I made the moment I arrived, is much more outgoing then I am, so thanks to him I’ve managed to meet tons of great people. Oliver is a champ at meeting new people. Anyhow, the group of about a dozen of us exchange students have begun spending every day together and we’re getting to know each other very well. I reminded myself today that I’m going back across the world in 5 months and will probably not see most of the friends I make here ever again after that. I shouldn’t be thinking of this now.. I still have a whole semester here. But the relationships I make anywhere, as long as I can remember, are what matter most to me. And its hard to think I’m getting ready to get close to many new, amazing, interesting people that I will have to leave at some point. I’m bad at that kind of thing… just a part of my personality I guess. I have trouble letting go. Moving on. Its quite a struggle for me and I can already tell that leaving here in November is going to be really hard.
Street performer at Rundle Mall

Anyhow, I definitely plan on making the most of every moment, every sight, and every person I meet. It is so great being an American in Australia. As I mentioned before, Adelaide is certainly the most diverse city I’ve ever been to, but I’ve only come across 1 or 2 other people from the States. It seems most of the people I’ve met have only formed a perspective of the United States through movies and some TV shows. Once I thought about it, I realized how so many movies are made in America and how American films must be watched a lot in other countries, whereas I don’t feel as though I watch movies made in other countries often at all. From over here, America has movies and celebrities and Hollywood.. it has music and concerts and rockstars.. it has LA and New York City and Vegas… its an exciting, busy place where one can do and see anything.
Central Market

Part of Rundle Mall
But this girl comes from good ole New Castle, Indiana.. where the only celebrity we could possibly see is Steve Alford. We have corn fields and the occasional hill here and there. We have Super Wal Mart, the Rose Bowl, and the Castle Theater. Indiana is the kind of place nobody really comes to visit, unless its for school or to visit family. I feel like SUCH a small town girl here, even though I’ve spent the last 3 years going to school in the “big city”. I just cannot walk through the city without looking up at the huge buildings in awe. I can’t get used to walking through the city during rush hour when the sidewalks are PACKED full of people. I try to dodge them all, but always end up bumping and running into so many.. each of whom I of course have to stop and apologize to. Also, hanging out with so many Europeans, I’ve noticed how “improper” I talk. They all speak so well and properly. I try to speak slowly and speak better.. but of course the second I get excited about anything I start to ramble away about it. And let me tell you, it happens a LOT.
Fountain on King William St

Anyhow, its been a lot of fun and I’m getting the hang of things. Today, Friday, I had to stop at the bank (again) and send several emails to try and get my money situation figured out. Still working through it. Its been stressful, but its also a good opportunity for me to learn from the challenge. It’s a growing experience, along with everything else here. Afterwards I got coffee and lunch w/ Ben at the T-Room. I’m not sure if there is anything planned for the international students this evening, but I’m sure we’ll find something to do.

2 days till my birthday!! Never imagined I’d be celebrating my 22nd birthday in Australia!
View from my townhouse

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying Adelaide so much. Such a contrast between small town New Castle and big city Australian Adelaide.

    I've often said everyone should travel abroad at least once. It helps you appreciate the things you love about your home country, but it also helps you appreciate how special people are everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh so glad they have good cafes! =D A growing Bee needs her coffee =P wish it wasn't cold there I want you to go to the ocean!!! oh and the outdoor mall sounds awesome! go there a lot =)

    ReplyDelete