Sunday, August 7, 2011

1 Month

Today marks my 4 week anniversary in Adelaide. I arrived here 4 weeks ago today… I’ve now lived in Australia for 1 month.

1 month away from home… without Starbucks… without my cell phone… my friends… my family… my kitty… This is a first for me. The longest I’ve ever spent outside Indiana was a week and a half in France with my parents. As far as being on my own, never. Sure, back home I live in my own place on campus during school, so its not like I’ve never lived on my own… but my family is still just a half hour away, and I see them still quite frequently. Basically, this is all brand new to me. I had no idea how I would handle being on my own, living on the other side of the world, basically stuck for 5 months. I’ve never been the adventurous one. I’m happy just hanging out at home all the time… going out with my friends… watching movies and eating kettle korn… going for drives… hanging out at Starbucks… I like feeling safe. I like surrounding myself with people who know and love me. I like comfort. Belonging. Routine.

At the State Fair last summer
1 month ago I gave it all up. A month ago I got on a plane heading to a place I didn’t know, with no people I knew. So out of character for me. So new. So scary. I still really can’t believe it. I still really feel as though I have no idea how I ended up here. 2 months ago I was planning out my summer… was going to be taking a couple summer classes.. living in my city.. working at Starbucks.. planning trips to the drive-in, bonfires with my friends, concerts, going to the State Fair, corn on the cob, catching lightning bugs, swimming, ice cream, fireworks, getting tan… Just like every summer. Every summer in Indiana. I wasn’t sure about this trip… this adventure. I’d miss my summer… my beautiful, free summer. What was it that really changed my mind? When did I decide that I was gonna do this? Was it that fight with my best friend? When that guy rejected me? When I had to wake up at 5am yet again for work? Was it just the last straw at some point? All of a sudden, I was just ready to go… take off… get away. All of a sudden I was ready to leave everything I loved and valued and go to Australia for a semester.

It doesn’t feel like a month really. I feel like I’ve been here for much longer. Just 4 little weeks… the first week was great. I was on a high… thrilled to be here… every turn was something new and exciting. I met so many new people and got introduced to the campus. Second week we took some day trips… I explored the city further… I started getting to know the other international students better. Week 3 was a little rough. The homesickness really hit me… I felt very alone in a strange place. We started classes… I got lost… I missed my city… I missed my friends… Week 4, second week of classes, I felt much better. Really had the hang of Uni and found a routine that really worked for me. Friendships also reached a new level at this point.
International Students!

Over the last 4 weeks I’d met TONS of new people from all over. Somehow I managed to find a wonderful group of international students, all of whom are caring, fun, interesting, amazing people. What began as just a bunch of acquaintances has grown into genuine friendships, and I am so happy that I have them. To truly get to know a person takes time… and mutual experiences… and shared disclosure. I was nervous about not being able to get close to anyone here. I was nervous about finding real friends to care about me. 4 weeks here and I now know I have nothing to worry about.

1 month here and I’m starting to feel comfortable. Does it feel like home yet? No, but its getting there. I feel now like I belong. That I am no longer a stranger here. I know this city… I know people… I have great classes… I have a great place to live. The semester has just begun… I’m sure its only a matter of time before I feel at home here in Adelaide.
My Stubby

I wonder how home is… I wonder what my friends are up to… I wonder what’s going on in Indianapolis. Last night I had a dream that I woke up and was home. With my family. I can’t even express how much I miss them… Mom and Dad… Al, KC, and Tee. My Stubby. Dusty.

Dusstttyyyy
I wish I could just go home… just for a day. I want to have family dinner… I want to chase Dusty around the house… I want to go for a bro-sis date to Paradise Café… I want to watch a chick flick with my sisters… I want a cup of Starbucks coffee… I want to go for a bike ride on the canal and go to Zonies with my friends. Just 24 hours.
My wonderful family :)

2 of my best friends in the world
My life is here now… I know that. I will make the most of my time here… its just hard sometimes. Hard to be away from those I love… hard to be away from everything I know.

Eating dinner














Its good for me though. This is good for me. This is a great opportunity and I’m so happy I am able to be here. And I am SO proud of myself. 


5 comments:

  1. Loved reading your blog, it means a lot to me and really articulates a lot of my own study abroad experience which I've only just returned to Adelaide from. Now I regret not writing a blog. I found your blog when I typed ESN Adelaide into google, have an awesome time it will no doubt change your life forever!!! Maybe I'll even bump into you if you end up doing activities through ESN. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Nicky. Nice interweaving of your life here and your life there.

    We are proud of you, too. I remember when you first told me you wanted to go to Australia. You could've knocked me over with a stick!

    Now I love telling people my daughter is in Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much mom :) i'm glad i made you proud

    ReplyDelete
  4. good break down of your time there. It will fly from here on. Go hang out with Rockies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol wixy =P and can't believe you've been there OVER a month now! oh but its a good thing you didn't go to the state fair this yr...

    ReplyDelete