Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Busy!

Its amazing how fast the weeks are going by.


This weekend was pretty relaxing. Friday Nina, Caroline, and I went to the beach again, but instead of Glenelg, we went to Henley beach this time. It was much prettier and less crowded. We explored, got lunch, and ice cream afterwards of course.


Nina, me, and Caroline at Henley Beach


Friday evening our friends Jeff and Lisa had a house warming BBQ that we all went to, then afterwards we took the bus back to the city and went to another International Party, themed Red and White Party, at an organized venue in the city.
On the bus back to the city

At the Red & White party
Saturday I had to run some errands and pick up some food at Coles. I didn’t have dinner plans so I decided to try cooking dinner for myself! I made spaghetti and it turned out pretty good! I was really proud of myself. That evening we hung out at a pub on Rundle Street called The Elephant. They had a live band and we had a really great night.

This week is another busy week. Thursday I have a big essay due in my Passions course. We are allowed to choose any work of literature assigned throughout the semester to write the essay on and have to consider the representation of an emotion in the works and explain its social consequences. I chose to do my essay over Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Need to be working on that! Also need to be preparing for next week in my Philosophy seminar. We are having a debate over Maes’ judgments on pure beauty vs. Davies, who believed in functional beauty. Along with the debate we will have in class, we have to turn in an essay as well. Like I said, should be a busy week!

Things are going very well though. Everything’s really smoothed over and everyone has gotten a routine of things by now. The weeks are kind of blurring together… Uni Monday through Thursday.. enjoying the weekend Friday & Saturday with my friends.. and Sunday, a chill day to relax and get caught up on homework. Comfort… familiarity… I’ve adjusted to life here. Still working on learning to balance school work and having fun, as well as budgeting money. Trying to eat out less and cook meals for myself more. But all in all, I feel as if I’ve grown an awfully lot the past couple months of being here on my own in Australia and I think I’ve come a long way. SO much learning here… in my classes, of course.. and also about other people.. about my country, the world… and about myself most of all. Its amazing, scary, and surprising getting a whole new perspective on your life when you go so far away on your own.

Me and my Stubby
The other day I was looking through old pictures… seeing the things that defined me so much. Pictures of my school, my home, my car, my Starbucks… my family… my cat… all my friends. Pictures of work, partying with my friends, celebrating holidays with my family, and hanging out on campus. All these things which define me… none of which are here with me now. It was strange… realizing everything I valued, loved, and defined myself by was so far from me now. I’m apart from all of it… my entire life that I’ve built up from childhood… my relationships, my school, my job, my home… My life! For a girl who’s never left home for more than 2 weeks, and being with my family even then, this is a crazy experience. I’ve never been at home anywhere else… I’ve never built friendships anywhere else… I’ve never had a LIFE anywhere else. And now I do. I can’t imagine how I will feel at the end of these 5 months… having to leave one home to return to the other… I think it will be very hard.
My international student friends

Anyhow, I need to be wrapping up. So much work to do!! Every day this week I will spend on my studies. Looking forward to some free time soon!

Been working on mid-semester break plans with some of my friends. We are planning to join a road trip from Darwin (far north Australia) down through the Red Centre and back down to Adelaide. Mid-semester break is the last week of September and the first week of October, and the trip will take up all 14 days! We will be camping and staying in hostels.. most meals are provided.. and we’ll be seeing the heart of Australia, including Uluru (Ayers Rock), Devils Marbles, Flinders Ranges, and Alice Springs. This is the link to the trip details: http://www.adventuretours.com.au/northern-territory/darwin-to-adelaide-safari
Alice Springs

It will definitely be an adventure! One I’m a little nervous about, but I think it will be just amazing.

Off to study. More to come soon!


2 comments:

  1. Such an adventure, Nicky!

    Take lots of pictures for me!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mid-semester break sounds awesome! SO glad you are doing that. and I'm so happy that you have found a home/family there in Australia. Home's that you build yourself seem to have a distinct significance. And they are aLWAys hard to leave. Enjoy every moment.

    ReplyDelete