Saturday, August 13, 2011

Week 5

Week 5 in Adelaide is nearing an end. It was a very busy week with school and stuff with the International students, but today things have slowed down and I have a relaxing Saturday afternoon to myself. Of course I’m at my favorite spot in Adelaide… my coffee shop on Gouger. They have the most incredible ham, cheese, and tomato sandwiches… and I always get an iced coffee with extra espresso. Nothing like it.

Doris, Me, and Caroline
Like I said, it was a busy week. Monday after class Caroline cooked me dinner at her place in Urbanest. I am trying to learn some tips from her on how to cook things, since I have no idea how to make anything in the kitchen except for PBJ’s. We’re going to try and make dinner together once a week now, and maybe soon I’ll be able to cook for myself! After dinner we went to our friend Doris’. She’s French and was having a crepe night for all of our friends. We made tons of crepes and had some goon as well. It was a lot of fun. Tuesday I felt pretty sick and tired so I did some homework after class and went to bed early.

Wednesday was my busy day… up early, coffee, 2 lectures, lunch, and a seminar. Got home around 6 and ate some dinner. Around 8:30 my friend Karin, who also lives at the Village, was having all of us over to her place to celebrate her birthday. We had all put our money together and got her a huge card, some wine, and some small gifts. Everyone pitched in small treats and desserts, so that we had plenty of snacks and sweets. We had a great night with great company and I went to bed that night feeling as if I had a family here.

Karin and I :)
Thursday I was able to sleep in, then had one seminar at 3pm. At 7, we all met up to get dinner together in China Town. We went to an Asian restaurant that had a turn-table thing in the middle of the table, so we were all able to order something different, and then share it all. I got to try a little bit of everything. That night we all went to ESN pub night at the Cumberland.

Eating kangaroo!
 Friday I got some work done during the day and emailed my sibs my weekly/daily email. That evening we were having a “kangaroo BBQ”, so we were only able to bring kangaroo. We had pasta salad, potatoes, goon, and kangaroo steaks for dinner. I thought it was great! Some of my friends didn’t feel the same though.

That evening was another International Student Party at the Garage Bar called “Chocolate Party”. We all had to bring a bar of chocolate with us to the party and they had games and contests and stuff there. We had a great time.

Champagne at the Chocolate Party
Today, like I said, I’m relaxing. The sun is shining and its pretty warm out. Over sixty degrees. I’ll probably do some grocery shopping after this and then will be meeting up with Caroline and Martin a little bit later to have dinner. This evening we’re going to Doris’ again for some drinks and hanging out together.

After much insisting from my sister, KC, I finally got pictures of my living space to put up. So, Basey, here’s where I’m living…
The townhomes
This is a view of the townhomes at the Village. I’m in building 10. Normally, the townhomes have 5 people in them, but we only have 3 girls in ours. Jenny, from DC, is on the bottom floor, I am on the second floor, the kitchen and living room are on the 3rd floor, and Laura, from England, is up on the top floor along with the balcony.
Living room
My bedroom

My bedroom is small, but nice. I don’t really have any decorations or anything, so its kind of lacking in personality I’d say. I have my bathroom connected to the bedroom, so that’s really great. I like having my privacy within my living space.

Kitchen
Its nice living at the Village. Its University accommodation, so its all students living there. There are laundry facilities, common areas, and a reception desk in the lobby, where they are more than willing to help you with anything at any time. Though there are lots of rules about checking guests in and out and no alcohol in the common areas, they seem to be relatively laid back, as long as you aren’t causing trouble.
Playing cards in my kitchen

It’s a bit of a far walk to Uni.. about 20 minutes or so.. but its just about a 5 minute walk from Central Market and Coles (the grocery), so that’s really nice. They also have a good bus system, so if its raining its pretty easy to grab a free bus ride to Uni.

Anyhow, things are going great. Being busy is really great… no time to get homesick or feel lonely. The days are flying by…
My boys :)

3 comments:

  1. Nice blog. I like hearing about your everyday life - the coffee shop, your townhouse. And good to see pictures of you. You're looking good. Glad you're enjoying Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good to see where you're living. looks pretty similar to a lot of college apartment buildings around here I think. Nice red flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay! needed to see pics! i love seeing different living places I'm a little weird =P but your blog makes me miss being abroad!!! I'm so glad you are there! AND YOU ATE KANGAROO??? SO JEALOUS! I NEED TO TRY IT! was it good??? i bet it was =D

    ReplyDelete